Wednesday 21 April 2010

~Ndidi Onukwulu~ The contradictor.

Ndidi Onukwulu is a Canadian Nigerian Jazz/Blues singer. I heard her when i was randomly listening to the radio and was immediately drawn to her voice. There was a faint hint of the old Amy Winehouse (the Frank days), a twinge of Norah Jones and something else i couldn't quite put my finger on. I googled her once i had the chance and hours after listening to every track on her myspace pagei knew i had to do a post on her. Not only is she amazingly talented but i realized the thing i couldn't quite put my finger on, was her. There was something different about the way she performed, the way she belted out the high notes, the way she sang.So incredibly individual, i quit comparing her and just listened. Ndidi's father, Ernest Onukwulu was also a jazz singer which gave her a feel for music at a very young age. She integrates Nigerian music into her performances to give her an eclectic sound. Her album, 'the contradictor' got its name from the contradiction between the upbeat music and its more serious themes, in addition to the elements of Ndidi's personality. Just by looking at her i get a huge sense of a contradiction (in a good way) - this prim & proper pretty girl with an angel smile, all tatted up like some biker chic.- gotta love it. My fave song off the album is 'He needs me'-which i've shared with you lovelies below!  For more information, check out her myspace page ~http://www.myspace.com/ndidionukwulu. 








4 comments:

Halima Bepo said...

OMG she is my new girl crush.love her already

Ella said...

I love her voice!! Love the housewife look she has going on in her video! Listening to her myspace as I type! X

OooKellyNicky said...

She's beautiful, very 50's inspired. I love voices like this. Her's is so pure.

my blog: ♥La Stylin Girraffe♥

The Queen of Hearts said...

She's stunning! I absolutely love that she's got loads of tattoos and sings the blues. I'm all for the seemingly impossible.

well after this, I should think nothing of falling down stairs