Sunday 4 July 2010

BluFunk is a FACT~ Keziah Jones

Hi lovers, i sincerely apologise for the lack of posts. I can't believe its been over a month since i last blogged! I thought long and hard about what material i would use for my 'come back' post but i found nothing that 'spoke' to me. Lazy sunday mornings are for me, the perfect lie in day to do absolutely nothing but listen to good music. 'Sophie's breasts' started playing (one of my fave K.J songs) and i was immediately inspired. I wonder why i hadn't done a post on him any sooner. Not only has this artist created his own genre of music, his style is refreshingly individual, quirky with an African twinge. You can't help but heart this guy.
Keziah Jones was born Olufemi Sanyaolu in Lagos in the late 60s. He is a Nigerian singer-songwriter and guitarist. He describes his musical style as "Blufunk", 'Blues being the basis of where everything came from and funk being a state of mind'. His sound is authentic, like none other i've ever heard, drawing inspiration from his motherland Yoruba sound and an eclectic mix of old school funk & the classic blues.
He taught himself how to play the piano at the age of 13 and picked up the guitar a few years later and the rest is history. Music, he describes was a form of release, a way to 'free your soul'. He went against his Yoruba father's wishes and took to the streets of London to pursue his dream, his talent, his life. He moved to Paris and was 'discovered' and signed to a French label 'Delabel' in 1991. His first album 'Rhythm is love' was recorded and he never looked back. I have never seen an artist, who delivers, album after album. From his album African Space ship, to Liquid Sunshine, his sound has remained distinct, authentic and real. He single handedly made BluFunk a fact, once you hear it, you know.
He reminds me of a cross betweenJimi Hendrix and Fela with a quirky Pete Doherty flare. I love his laid back funky style, the fact that he's always wearing hats and he acts like he doesn't have a care in the world. Not only does he write and sing, but he paints as well. You can see from watching him perform that music is within him, a part of him. It makes me appreciate an artist more when you can tell their creativity is coming from the soul. It makes it even more fantastic that he is a Nigerian. Loves him. Loves him. Loves him. Below is a short film made by the Blacknerds network on Keziah. Be sure to Check it.


















'Nigeria is where I'm from, where I'm going is somewhere else'- Keziah Jones

3 comments:

Vivi N. said...

Cool. Finally new music I can download. Great post.

Chic Therapy said...

he reminds me of FelA

Joké said...

KJ is truely inspiring, thanks for posting this.
follow my blog at www.jorisocentric.blogspot.com